WEST POINT PLANTATION,
just north of Frederica, was the estate of Colonel William
Hazzard, "scholar, soldier, gentleman, planter, farmer."
Some members of the Hazzard family returned to St. Simons
after the War Between the States, but within a few years
West Point, like so many other plantations, was left
deserted. After lying in ruins for vears the place became
the property of the Maxwell Berrys, who restored the old
plantation and built a beautiful house enjoyed by three
generations of the Berry family. A winding road through
woodland and fields led past the enchanting ruin of the
little Pink Chapel, along a row of rebuilt slave cabins, to
the pillared mansion on the bank of the Frederica River.
The picturesque ruin of the Pink Chapel, which gets its name
from the unusual color of its tabby walls, has long been a
favorite beauty spot of the island, painted and photographed
by many a visitor. Among the various stories of its origin,
most romantic is the one that dates it from Spanish mission
days. Details of architecture and construction give it the
appearance of a Catholic church, and many people find it
easy to believe that the little Pink Chapel was indeed one
of the sixteenth century missions. In 1955 West Point
passed into other hands and it was announced that the
plantation would be divided into residential lots.
West Point and Pikes Bluff. just north of Frederica, were
the plantations of Colonel William Wigg Hazzard and his
younger brother, Dr. Thomas Fuller Hazzard. The West Point
property, which had belonged to Donald Mackay, then to James
Spalding. and later to Lachlan McIntosh, was purchased by
Colonel Hazzard in 1818.
Adjoining West Point to the north, the Pikes Bluff tract,
which included Oglethorpe's old Pikes sentry station, was
the property of Edmund Matthews, rector of Christ Church.
Frederica. After Mr. Matthew's death in t827, Pikes Bluff
was bought from his estate by the Hazzards and became the
home of the younger brother.
The brothers were communicants of Christ Church, where
Colonel Hazzard served a number ol terms as warden and Dr.
Thomas served on the vestry. Both represented Glynn County
in the state legislature. They were enthusiastic sportsmen,
with their racing boats, Shark and Comet, and their famous
pack of deer hounds. Both were writers of some prominence
locally. The colonel wrote 2 short histories of Glynn County
in 1815, and the doctor published articles on agriculture,
on the treatment of inﬂuenza, and on the culture of ﬂowers
"as conducive to health, pleasure and rational amusement."
Part of the Hazzard property joined the Village land, and in
December 1838, a bitter dispute over boundary lines resulted
in John Wylly of the Village being shot by Dr. Thomas
Hazzard. He was tried for aggravated manslaughter but was
Dr. Thomas Hazzard died in 1849 and his widow sold to
Colonel Hazzard, who cultivated West Point and Pikes Bluff
as one large plantation. After the colonel's death his
family moved to South Carolina, and in 1882 his heirs sold
the property to James C. Chapman "late of Kent, England,"
and a layreader for Christ Church. Frederica.
The properly was unoccupied for years until
twen|ieth-century owners, Dr. and Mrs. Maxwell Berry,
restored part of the old plantation and built a gracious.
columned house enjoyed by three generations of the family.
In 1955 West Point passed from the Berry estate to other
owners, and it was announced that the property would he
divided into residential lots. In 1957 a small portion of
the tract was purchased for addition to the adjoining Fort
Frederica National Monument.
As for the Pikes Bluff part of the old Hazzard plantation,
it passed through various hands before being acquired by the
Sea Island Company. As with Cannons Point, a preliminary
archaeological survey has pinpointed sites of historical
significance to be preserved in future development. It is
now part of the "Frederica" development.