Sinclair, the property that was developed in
Oglethorpe's time by Archibald Sinclair, was known in
plantation days as St. Clair,
evidently a corruption of the name Sinclair.
In 1745 this tract was named as one of the successful
on St. Simons Island. However, the property was not listed
in the 1755 Entry of Claims, which indicates that the family
left the island and that the Sinclair grant was vacant.
In 1765 the land was granted to Donald Forbes. Forbes sold
Lachlan McIntosh, whose son. Major William McIntosh, lived
in the old plantation house until his death in 1799. A
placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution marks
McIntosh's grave, and nearby are the little brick tombs of
The property was bought from the McIntosh estate by Major
Pierce Butler, who sold to Alexander Wylly; and Sinclair,
at that time as St. Clair, was included in Wylly's Village
When Mrs. Wylly's mother, Mrs. Ann Armstrong, came
from the Bahamas to make her home on St. Simons, she lived
the old St. Clair house where she died in 1816. And when the
Wyllys' daughter, Frances, was married to Dr. William
"late of the Royal Navy" and brother of John Fraser, the
lived for a time at St. Clair before moving to Darien, where
Fraser served as mayor.
The house was later used as a meeting place for the bon
vivant St. Clair Club. It was also headquarters for the
Sporting Club organized by island planters in 1832. The old
plantation house burned in 1857.
Over the following years the place belonged to various
and in 1954 a bronze marker was erected on the Sinclair
tract by the Georgia Historical Commission.