Coastal Georgia History
Return to Index

Pike's Bluff Plantation

PIKE'S BLUFF PLANTATION, just above West Point, included the site of Oglethorpe's sentry station known as Pike's, and belonged to Colonel Hazzard's brother Dr. Thomas Hazzard.  Planter, physician, horticulturist, and writer, Dr. Hazzard published articles on agriculture, on treatment of influenza, and on the culture of flowers "as conducive to health, pleasure, and rational amusement." The Hazzard brothers were enthusiastic sportsmen, and the exploits of their famous pack of deer hounds still make good stories when hunters swap yarns.

West Point and Pikes Bluff. just north of Frederica, were the plantations of Colonel William Wigg Hazzard and his younger brother, Dr. Thomas Fuller Hazzard. The West Point property, which had belonged to Donald Mackay, then to James Spalding. and later to Lachlan McIntosh, was purchased by Colonel Hazzard in 1818.
Adjoining West Point to the north, the Pikes Bluff tract, which included Oglethorpe's old Pikes sentry station, was the property of Edmund Matthews, rector of Christ Church. Frederica. After Mr. Matthew's death in t827, Pikes Bluff was bought from his estate by the Hazzards and became the home of the younger brother.
The brothers were communicants of Christ Church, where Colonel Hazzard served a number ol terms as warden and Dr. Thomas served on the vestry. Both represented Glynn County in the state legislature. They were enthusiastic sportsmen, with their racing boats, Shark and Comet, and their famous pack of deer hounds. Both were writers of some prominence locally. The colonel wrote 2 short histories of Glynn County in 1815, and the doctor published articles on agriculture, on the treatment of influenza, and on the culture of flowers "as conducive to health, pleasure and rational amusement."
Part of the Hazzard property joined the Village land, and in December 1838, a bitter dispute over boundary lines resulted in John Wylly of the Village being shot by Dr. Thomas Hazzard. He was tried for aggravated manslaughter but was not convicted.
Dr. Thomas Hazzard died in 1849 and his widow sold to Colonel Hazzard, who cultivated West Point and Pikes Bluff as one large plantation. After the colonel's death his family moved to South Carolina, and in 1882 his heirs sold the property to James C. Chapman "late of Kent, England," and a layreader for Christ Church. Frederica.
The properly was unoccupied for years until twen|ieth-century owners, Dr. and Mrs. Maxwell Berry, restored part of the old plantation and built a gracious. columned house enjoyed by three generations of the family. In 1955 West Point passed from the Berry estate to other owners, and it was announced that the property would he divided into residential lots. In 1957 a small portion of the tract was purchased for addition to the adjoining Fort Frederica National Monument.
As for the Pikes Bluff part of the old Hazzard plantation, it passed through various hands before being acquired by the Sea Island Company. As with Cannons Point, a preliminary archaeological survey has pinpointed sites of historical significance to be preserved in future development. It is now part of the "Frederica" development.

1850 Census



  Jim Bruce Collection