Musgrove. a twentieth-century plantation with an
eighteenth-century name and grounds that were
nineteenth-century cotton ﬁelds, lies along Village
Creek on the east side of St. Simons lsland. Named
for the half-indian "Princess" Mary Musgrove who played
an important part in early Georgia history, the
plantation was created in 1938 as a part-time home for
the Reynolds -Bagley family.
With its five hundred acres of high ground and some
seven hundred and fifty acres of protective marshland;
with its pines, palms and ancient live oaks, its natural
plantings of vines, shrubs and flowers, Musgrove was for
almost four decades a secluded retreat for its owners.
"the world forgetting by the world forgot."
Change came in I976 when the plantation became renowned
as the site of President-Elect Jimmy Carter's
unprecedented preinaugural cabinet meeting. Mementos of
the historic event, treasured along with eighteenth- and
nineteenth-century relies found on the grounds, add
another dimension to the heritage of Musgrove
Most of Musgrove is now St. Simons Land Trust property.