Coastal Georgia History
Return to Index

Mulberry Grove Plantation

HARRINGTON HALL and MULBFRRY GROVE, which belonged to the Raymond Demeres in the earliest days of the colony, remained for many years in the Demere family and were among the leading plantations of St. Simons throughout the island's prosperous agricultural years.  No trace remains today of these estates; the island airport is located on a part of the old Demere property.

Mulberry Grove Plantation, to the south of the Gould property, was developed after the Revolutionary War by Raymond Demere, Jr., son of Captain Raymond Demere, who owned Harrington Hall in the Frederica area in the early days of the colony. At Raymond Demere,  Jr.'s, death in t829, his grandsons, Joseph, Lewis. John, and Paul, inherited the Harrington property. John Fraser Demere, son of Paul and Annie Fraser Demere, and the fifth generation of the family, was born at Harrington Hall in 1841.
The Demeres did not return to St. Simons Island after the War Between the States, and their land was never cultivated again.
No trace remains today of Harrington Hall and Mulberry Grove. The site of Harrington Hall has been marked by the Georgia Historical Commission as one of the earliest grants on St. Simons Island. and a residential section south of the old place has been known for years as Harrington.
When the airport was enlarged to include the family burial ground on the old Mulberry Grove property, the Demere tombstones were moved to the cemetery at Christ Church, Frederica.



  Jim Bruce Collection