LONGVIEW was the home of the McNish family.
Long View, near Cannons Point, was the part-time home of
Mrs. John McNish and her daughter, Mary Jane. Mrs. McNish,
the former Ann Mary Johnston. was the daughter of Thomas
and Mary Dews Johnston of the Hermitage Plantation on the
Little Ogeechee River near Savannah [not to be confused with
de Montalet's Hermitage Plantation on the Savannah River].
Thomas Johnston, a native of Scotland. was related to John
of Cannons Point Plantation. When Ann Mary, age thirteen.
and her sister, Jane Elizabeth, age twelve. were orphaned,
were taken into the hospitable Couper home, where they grew
up as daughters of the household.
When Ann Mary was seventeen years old, John McNish of
Galloway County, Scotland, came to St. Simons Island as
and bookkeeper for John Couper and his partner, James
Within a few years the young Scotsman had settled in
where he became a prosperous cotton merchant.
In 1819 john McNish and Ann Mary Johnston were married
in the Couper home "without much parade or show." McNish's
wedding gift to his bride was a dainty set of pearl and
jewelry, made in Paris and consisting of a necklace. two
bracelets, earrings. brooch, and tiara. The exquisite set in its
case, is still treasured by descendants of the couple. and
pieces have been worn by brides of each succeeding
For their home in Savannah itemized bills of lading still in
show quantities of silverware, "41 and 1/4 yards Brussels
carpet and a fancy hearthrug to suit," and other furnishings
ordered by john McNish from London and Liverpool. The handsome pieces of hollow ware and ﬂat silver, all marked with
thistle of Scotland, are still in the possession of the
After their marriage, John and Ann McNish divided their
time between their townhouse in Savannah and the Hermitage
Plantation, which they shared with Ann's sister, Jane
Two children were born to the couple. a daughter. Mary Jane,
and a son. William Couper, named for his grandfather,
McNish, and for John Couper of Cannons Point. Little Couper
McNish died in October 1826, at the age of eighteen months.
John McNish died in December of the same year.
After her husband's death, Ann Johnston McNish built the
Long View house on four acres of Cannons Point land leased
from John Couper for a yearly rental of one dollar. Here Ann
and her young daughter could he near the Coupers, and Mary
Jane could know the pleasant island life that Ann had
a girl. Except for Mary Jane's boarding-school years in
the McNishs still lived at the Hermitage. But they were
often at Long View, which was staffed and kept in readiness
A letter from Ann McNish, written from Long View in t836,
shows her love for the place and her pleasure in the
She reports "the little birds well and happy and the plants
growing. Anet and Fox [horses?] much pleased with the fresh
springing grass, and Betty, the cow, and baby doing well."
also tells of preparations for the celebration of the
the founding of Frederica, with John Fraser as master of
ceremonies. and with a ball, "of course." included in the plans.
ln 1843 Mary Jane McNish was married to Leighton Wilson
Hazlehurst, the son of Robert and Elizabeth Wilson
whose families were among the earliest settlers of Glynn
In the 1860s Long View, like other places on St. Simons was
left unoccupied. Ann Johnston McNish spent the war years
Mary Jane and her family at their summer home in Wayne
County, where she died in 1869.